Marcin Wichary works for Medium, where his prime role is a Typographer. Medium is a writing platform, available on Web, IOS & Android, where people can sign up and write/share articles.
During his talk Marcin shared stories, experiences and solutions, extracting meaning out of them. A past experience can be seen below:
A member was trying to write an article in Polish but experienced problems as the polish S (Ś) didn't appear.
- The Polish language has 9 extra characters.
- Polish typewriters used to have those characters, where as modern day keyboards (American Keyboards) don't.
- In order to get the additional characters you press the right Alt+ Letter, i.e Alt + a (à).
- Old habits - People tend to press Ctrl + S to save. When you write a post on Medium everything saves automatically. So if you have an old habit to save and press Ctrl + S, it opens up Browser Save. To overcome this Medium added something in the back end which blocks Ctrl + S to stop the Save As option coming up.
- Ctrl + S is to save on Windows. Cmd + S is to save on Mac. Alt + S is to get polish S.
- The right Alt in Windows is internally mapped as Alt + Ctrl. Therefore blocking the polish S.
- Fix - Medium had to come up with a hack which disabled the save option, but allowed Ś.
We have to ensure we cover all aspects of usability, so that our users can easily use our products. In this example, Medium needed to consider that its audience are worldwide and the alphabets used in other countries do not always follow the same conventions as American keyboards.Back to all talks